Baptiste Yoga Certified Teacher:
Michael Schweppe

I discovered yoga through Baron’s Journey Into Power book and DVD in 2002. I practiced alone at home for several years because I didn’t consider myself a “yoga person”! I thought of yoga as a supplement to my triathlon training. The physicality of the Baptiste style appealed to me and reminded me of the military calisthenics I performed as a West Point cadet and later as an army Airborne Ranger infantry officer.

I eventually (fortunately!) overcame my resistance to attending yoga classes and became a certified vinyasa teacher. There weren’t any Baptiste studios or teachers near my home, so for a while, my connection to the Baptiste community was limited to my well-worn Journey Into Power DVD.

When I attended my first Baptiste program, there was a sense of “Whoa! I have found my people!” The meditation and self inquiry practices rounded out the physicality that had been my main focus, and I knew that I was on a life-long path of growth and transformation. I am committed to bringing this practice that I love so much to my community.  I consider myself fortunate to be a member of the Assisting Team at Baptiste programs, and I have experienced exponential shifts through helping others.

I am a board-certified orthopedic surgeon and chief of orthopedic surgery at Northern Dutchess Hospital in Rhinebeck, NY.  My yoga practice has transformed me in my role as an orthopedic surgeon, and I continue to build connections between the yoga and medical worlds. I have had the honor of serving as a mentor for the Africa Yoga Project since 2013. My wife and I have a farm animal sanctuary called Perros Locos at our home farm and we currently share our lives with four dogs, four cats, a llama, an alpaca, a goat, eight sheep, ten chickens and two pigeons. In addition to our animal family, we have four great human children, all of whom are yogis!

Michael Schweppe
Find Michael at:

Satya Yoga Center

6400 Montgomery Street, Rhinebeck, NY 12572
satyayogacenter.us